Saturday, September 19, 2009

Rev 'Tomasi Kanailagi

from Peceli
Coming back from nearly five weeks in Fiji, partly to connect with the Methodist Church people for the Australian soli, I would like to make some comments. The church is very srong in the rural areas and the talatalas are hardworking in their circuits that I saw such as in Macuata and also in Nadi, Nawaka. I met many talatala during my trip which makes me contented with their call of ministry.

Rev Tomasi Kanailagi who has now retired came from Viwa Island where John Hunt established an outstanding Christian witness many years ago. Tomasi is a bit younger than me but I have known him for nearly fifty years. May God bless him in his retirement.

from Fiji Village
Former church president retires
Publish date/time: 19/09/2009 [16:57]

Former Methodist Church President Reverend Tomasi Kanailagi has retired with five other senior pastors. This is after 40 years of service with the Methodist church.

Acting General Secretary Reverend Tevita Nawadra said Reverend Kanailagi and the other five ministers have reached the age of 70 and so have opted to retire. Reverend Kanailagi is one of the members of the Standing Committee of the Church who is charged with breaching the Public Emergency Regulations and is not allowed to be part of any meeting.

3 comments:

Andrew Thornley said...

Thankyou for that news Peceli. I recall as a young student in the 1970s being taken to Viwa by a most hospitable Tomasi where he even showed me the remains of the decaying village on the leeward side of Viwa that was probably the home of Varani.

Andrew Thornley said...

On another matter Peceli, I agree with you that the Methodist Church is strong in the rural areas but how do you feel it is progressing the urban areas?

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

from Peceli,
How do you feel it is progressing the urban areas, you ask.
Positive. The Christians will do better in the time of turmoil and difficulties as they reassess who they are and where they are going. This also applies to the Methodists who are in the military, the police force and in the current government leadership. In my few days in Suva, it appears to be calm to me and the Methodists have been very patient which is good. But I do think Fiji is the dumping ground of second-hand churches, second-hand ideas, junk and business projects that are really tax avoidance.
I also visited Naboro prison and that place is more positive than before as the farm project looks very good.