Saturday, June 16, 2007

NZ Journalist Field deported from Fiji

from w

from a New Zealand website:
'Put him in the black room' - Fiji detention
Fairfax Media | Saturday, 16 June 2007

NOT WELCOME: Fairfax Media Pacific affairs journalist Michael Field arrives at Auckland Airport after being deported from Fiji.
Veteran Pacific affairs reporter Michael Field has been locked up and banned before, but this was one of the scariest times, he writes.
It came laden with menace and I could sense real anger.
I got into Nadi late on Thursday night with several reporters all heading to cover the expulsion of the New Zealand high commissioner.
The rest of them got through but as I stepped up, the familiar dread was quickly confirmed with a couple of flicks over the computer keyboard.
"Sorry, you are on the blacklist," the official said.

(Read the rest on the website given)

4 comments:

loloma said...

I've seen this as well. And I'm going to Fiji next month, so I'm a bit worried about the whole situation. :(

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hello Loloma,
Are you going to do research or work with an NGO or in a school? I think that tourists are okay in resorts - but for people who work in Suva there's an element of disquiet, of not knowing which way the ball will bounce next. I'm only making my call from reading and friends.
Talk it over carefully with your contact people in Fiji.
w.

loloma said...

Unfortunately for myself, I am going to be in Suva for almost 5 weeks. It's not exactly research, more like a document survey trip. But I've talked to quite a few people from Fiji now and none of them said not to go, so I'm hoping things will be O.K. We'll see how it goes.

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

I'm sure that you will find some lovely people in your trip to Fiji because life justs on and on for the people there. They are resilient to the strange twists and turns in society so your trip should be fine.
w.