Saturday, January 13, 2007

National Geographic writes up Vorovoro tribewanted

from w
The latest from tribewanted in Vorovoro.


National Geographic write about tribewanted on Vorovoro Island and lots of pictures, some of which I will place here. They are of Tui Mali, Epeli, a women's seasea dance, and building a bure.





Now that’s a real coup for the project in Vorovoro – a great article in National Geographic! I remember it was less than a year ago when Lusiana Speight wrote an article in a Fiji newspaper about the Taiwanese government giving fishing nets to the people of Mali Island. She wrote that she’d never heard of Mali Island! Well, since that time Mali Island people and Vorovoro (near Labasa, Vanua Levu) have had a lot of publicity which interests us because Peceli’s mother came from Mali Island and many of the people there are close relatives.

4 comments:

Pandabonium said...

National Geographic always has such quality photos. That's great.

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Yes, the quality of their photos is great. One strange thing though, when I checked the tribewanted site yesterday, all their postings about the National Geographic article and the photos were gone. Perhaps there was a problem with copyright and they were told off and to delete it all! Or they just lost it in translation somehow!
W.

Pandabonium said...

I would not be surprised if such a well known magazine (with a huge readership, history, etc) was very protective of their copyrights, especially if a commercial enterprise like a TV show tried to use them.

Several years ago I had a national franchise come down on my head with their lawyers over using their name in advertising a store I had listed for sale on my real estate website. I could advertise the store for sale, but not use the franchise name or logo or even show it in pictures.

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

I wonder what's the law about people like me using photos like this? I took it for granted that I was publicizing both the National Geographic with selected photos (not the lot!) and also giving info about a place in babasiga land which is the prime reason for starting this blog in the first place.
I don't think it is fair to copy and paste a complete article though. Usually fair dealing is 10% for research purposes anyway.
W.