Monday, September 22, 2008

Coming to America

from w
One of my favourite films was the 1988 Eddie Murphy 'Coming to America' about an African prince journeying to the USA to explore life on the other side. International flights take people on strange journeys at times.


I like the words written by Emma Lazarus in 1883 giving a legitimate reason for international movement. The Statue of Liberty welcomes the refugees and poor of the world. The right way to be.
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

And then sometimes there is travel the other way round - as two iguanas in Fiji ponder their ancestors coming from South America accidentally - on a bit or wood or a bilibili.


Meanwhile back in Fiji.... listening to the 'charter'.

No comments: