Thursday, December 23, 2010

Respite in the Christmas Eve city




from w
Every city certainly needs gardens, trees, seats, and churches for respite from the hard concrete pavements, the brash advertising and people calling to you to buy in the $2 shops in Swanston Street, Melbourne. We were up there this morning on a 5 minute errand and I dislike the city environment so I persuaded my family with me to go inside the cool St Pauls Cathedral where we lit candles in remembrance of absent family long gone. And I'm sure that Christmas is not a happy time for many people where there are all kinds of troubles and anxieties. A city church gives us a space to breathe slowly and in the darkness of the gothic styled St Paul's it was an important stopover for us. And Macdonalds icecream went down well also!

No comments: