Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Babasiga lad wins shooting at the Games

from w
Congratulations. A young man from Tabia in Macuata, Fiji got a gold medal at the Pacific Games. Excellent as he had only started shooting recently and it was pidgeons!

Khan shoots his way to gold

Shalveen Chand in Port Moresby
Thursday, July 09, 2015
FAIYUM Murtaza Khan sent shock waves through the sport of shooting as he picked up a gold medal in the 25m mixed gender pellet pistol competition in the Pacific Games at the June Valley Range in Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea.
The Labasa lad only took up shooting in March this year but he beat seasoned shooters in the competition to grab Fiji's first gold in shooting.
"Yesterday I entered an event that I had never competed in before and was placed fifth but today I knew what I was doing," said Khan.
"I was the first one to finish shooting and sat outside. I was told by a New Caledonian shooter that I had won gold. I did not believe him and went and checked the scores.
"To my surprise I had won. All other shooters had scopes but as you know we shooters from Fiji are supporting ourselves and do not have that kind of money to buy additional equipments. I was shooting without a scope, but I did it."
The 25-year old civil engineer hails from Tabia in Labasa and had his education at Tabia Sanatan Primary, Tabia Secondary and Labasa College.
"I am so happy with this win. I hope to inspire other people to take up the sport. Prior to joining the Fiji Shooting Association I was only shooting pigeons during the open season," Khan said.
"Little did I know that one day I would be standing at this podium with a gold medal around my neck, the Fijian flag being hoisted and the national anthem playing."
What was more amazing was that the shooting team stood together and when the anthem was playing, the team sang "Blessing Grant" to fill up the silent shooting range.
This was Khan's last event and the shooting team will start with the rifles today.
* Pacific Games coverage courtesy of BSP

No comments: