Though permission has been given for the Methodist Church in Fiji Conference to convene, there are numerous rules and expectations listed by the Police who give the permit. These kind of conditions have not been set out for the other churches in Fiji, so it's specifically to the Methodists.. The prejudice displayed by making a rule that there cannot be a bazaar, choir competition or soli limits the conference from the celebration style of past years. Here are two media comments about this: one from Fiji Village, the other from Fiji Times. I like the bit that says 'Tudravu said other churches should not be concerned about similar actions!' Seems they can fundraise like crazy - expecting tithes of 10% without any remark from the police!
Church told to focus on spiritual growth, not fundraising
Publish date/time: 07/06/2012 [13:13]
Focus on the spiritual growth of the members, not on fundraising.
Police Director of Operations SSP Rusiate Tudravu said this is the decision after careful consideration on the permit approval of the Methodist Church Annual Conference in August.
There is an audio file attached to this story. Please loginto listen.
The permit approval given to the church to hold their Annual Conference is subject to the conditions that they do not hold their bazaar and choir competition.
It has been stated that this would put a financial burden on the members.
Tudravu said other churches should not be concerned about similar actions.
Story by: Gwen McGoon
From Fiji Village
Thursday, June 07, 2012
Thursday, June 07, 2012
THE Methodist Church in Fiji received good news yesterday after Commissioner of Police Brigadier General Ioane Naivalurua granted a permit for its annual conference.
The permit for the conference and the Standing Committee meetings, however came with strict conditions.
This approval is issued with conditions that need to be observed prior and throughout the meeting, the permit signed by Brig-Gen Naivalurua said.
These conditions are to be acknowledged as serious actions will be instituted if violated or contravened hence, demands your strict observance and adherence.
The permit had six conditions to the Standing Committee meetings and eight conditions to the conference.
It stated that the holding of the conference will be determined on the strict observance of the Standard Committee meetings.
The eight conditions for the conference which were told to be stringently observed were:
* meeting should not coincide with the Hibiscus Festival which will be held from August 17-25:
* meeting is for three days only;
* meeting to be conducted on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday respectively;
* meeting to be held from 8am to 8pm;
* meeting to be confined to the Centenary Church premises;
* church matters only to be discussed;
* no political issues be discussed; and
* no request of extension of time frame be made during the meeting proper.
The permit also stated that no other activities are to be entertained such as the choir competition, erecting of stalls/bazaar or any form.
This is a positive letter from the Police Commissioner and the Methodist Church of Fiji is very appreciative of the permit granted for Standing Committee meetings and especially the conference, church general secretary Reverend Tuikilakila Waqairatu said.
Reverend Waqairatu said they were happy the permit was received early, giving them time to prepare for the conference.
Last year we were disappointed that the conference was called off an hour before it was supposed to have begun.
This permit gives ample time to prepare and get things properly organised before the conference.
For the six conditions to the Standing Committee meetings, the permit stated:
* meeting shall be for one day commencing from 8am-6pm;
* place of the meeting to be confined to Centenary Church premises;
* date to be confirmed by the assistant general secretary Reverend Tevita Nawadra;
* no political issues to be discussed;
* a minute of the meeting to be provided to the Police; and* the permit of the Standing Committee meetings in July will be determined on the strict observance of the above conditions.